This year's London Walking and Cycling Conference will take place as a webinar series with the first webinar taking place on 22 October 2020. Formerly the ‘Hackney Cycling Conference’, this event, which is organised in partnership with the City of London Corporation and sponsored by Steer, has become a fixture in the calendar of professionals, campaigners, and elected members who are eager to explore new ideas.
We are currently seeking papers for this year’s London Walking and Cycling Conference webinar series which present new research, projects, and innovations in walking and cycling from across the sector including from campaigners, academics, and transport or public health professionals. We are looking for papers with case studies, examples of best practise, or innovative research and analysis from around the world on the following themes and topics:
- Covid-19 related measures in the public realm, specifically looking at what lessons can be learnt from the implementation of Covid-19 related measures for walking and/or cycling
- Communication with communities and businesses in regards to walking and cycling, specifically looking at the needs and interests of these groups when disseminating information about emergency measures
- Inequalities in mobility and accessible cities
- Other topical and interesting research, analysis and case studies
Papers should ideally focus on both walking and cycling, although we will consider submissions that focus on either walking or cycling.
The webinar will be 1 hour in length. Each speaker will be given 10 minutes to present their paper and should be prepared to answer questions during the half hour Q&A session at the end (e.g. 3 presentations followed by questions directed at the 3 presenters).
How to submit:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 'Call for papers LWCC' by 11:59pm on 12 October, 2020, with the following information:
- The presenter’s name, position and organisation being represented (if applicable)
- Brief description of the topic that you would like to present on (200 word max.)
- Why do you think this contribution is important (200 word max.)
- Preferred presentation format(s) if applicable. For example: powerpoint, film, etc. Please note, regardless of presentation format, presentations must fit within the 10 minutes of allocated time.
- Applicant’s contact details: email address and phone number
Deadline for submissions is 11:59 PM on 12 October, 2020, however, early submissions are encouraged. Submissions for all events must be submitted by this date.
Nominated speakers for the first webinar will be notified by 19 October, 2020. Speakers for future webinars in the series will be notified at a later date. Please note that we will only contact those who are nominated to speak for events.
Please feel free to forward this information to anyone who you think may be interested in presenting. We particularly encourage speakers from ethnic minority backgrounds to submit papers.
When: 22 October 2020 at 3pm (GMT+1)
Following the first webinar in October 2020, there will be a rolling series of webinars. Further details about the series will be advertised here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/london-walking-and-cycling-conference-webinar-series-2020-tickets-122540177971
A summary of previous year’s events can be found here: https://hackney.gov.uk/london-walking-cycling-conference
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to seeing you at the conference!